Frequently Asked Questions
Getting Into Wolverine Access
What is Wolverine Access?
The Wolverine Access website is the gateway to U-M’s administrative information systems. It provides links to systems and websites used by members of the university community, including U-M students and their parents/family, prospective students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, retirees, and some sponsored affiliates.
How do I log in to Wolverine Access?
- Students, faculty, staff, alumni, retirees, and some sponsored affiliates use their U-M uniqnames and UMICH (Level 1) passwords to log in.
- Prospective students use U-M Friend accounts to log in. This allows them to access the New & Prospective Student Business system after they apply for admission.
- Parents/family can use their U-M uniqnames if they have them, or create U-M Friend accounts to log in. This allows them to access the My Student’s Information system if their students authorized their uniqnames or Friend account email addresses.
How do I get a uniqname, UMICH (Level 1) password, or Friend account so I can log in?
- Students, faculty, staff, sponsored people, and alumni can refer to the Procedures for Getting a Uniqname.
- When a prospective student applies to U-M Ann Arbor, an email message is sent by the admitting office that provides the student with his/her UMID and login instructions. The student is advised to create a Friend account to monitor admission application activity.
- Parents and family can create a Friend account to log in to the My Student’s Information system, provided the student authorized the Friend account email address. This is not necessary if the parent has a U-M uniqname because the student can authorize access for the uniqname.
How do I reset my UMICH (Level 1) or Friend account password if I forgot it?
To reset your UMICH (Level 1) password:
To reset your Friend account password:
- Prospective Ann Arbor students, their parents or families, and other Friend account users can go to Reset Friend Password.
For more information, see the Uniqnames and Passwords FAQ.
I have a uniqname and password, why can't I log into the system?
- Many administrative services (e.g., most under University Business) require use of two-factor authentication.
- The system may be down for maintenance. See the hours of operation.
- Parents/family must be authorized by their student before getting access to billing, account information, and/or financial aid information in the My Student’s Information system.
- Many administrative systems (e.g., most under University Business) require that you submit a request for system access and complete training before being granted access.
How do I log out to protect my privacy and sensitive U-M data?
Logging out is important
If you do not log out, someone who uses the same computer soon after you do can access your personal information, as well as any other information you have access to on Wolverine Access.
Always complete the Sign Out and Log Out process when leaving your computer. If you are using a shared computer, log out of the computer completely.
- Click Sign out to sign out of Wolverine Access systems.
- Click Log Out to log out of Weblogin (single sign-on to U-M web applications).
- On the Weblogin Log Out screen, click Log Out to confirm that you want to log out.
If you do not interact with the system for some period of time, your connection will time out, and you will be signed or logged out automatically as a security precaution. Time-out periods vary by service:
- Weblogin - 120 minutes
- Student Business - 30 minutes
- University Business - 60 minutes
- Faculty Business - 60 minutes
- Employee Self-Service - 30 minutes
Using Wolverine Access
I'm a U-M employee. How can I view my paycheck information?
You can view your pay stub information through Employee Self-Service > Payroll and Compensation > View Paycheck.
I'm a U-M employee. How can I view and update my benefits information?
- All benefits-eligible employees from all campuses can view their current and future benefits in Employee Self-Service > Benefits.
- Newly hired, eligible employees from all campuses can use Benefits to make their initial elections into benefit plans.
- During the Open Enrollment period, elections can be made by all benefits-eligible employees from all campuses.
I'm a student. What can I do in the Student Business self-service system?
See the Student Business Help Menu for a list of all the transactions available in Student Business. It provides links to the Help pages that support each transaction. You can also view and update your campus personal information in Student Business.
I'm a faculty member. What can I do in the Faculty Business self-service system?
Faculty, Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs), and Academic Advisors can use Faculty Business to:
- Use the Faculty Center to manage their class, student, and advisee related activities, including grading and class rosters.
- Use the Advisor Center to access their advisee rosters to view details including academic information, class schedules, degree progress, and grades.
See the Faculty Business Help Menu for a list of the Faculty Center and Advisor Center transactions, or see the Employee Business Help Menu for a list of the personal and employment-related self-service transactions (e.g., benefits, payroll, etc.). The Help menus also provide links to the Help pages that support those transactions.
I'm a parent/family member. Where can I learn how to view my student’s account information, pay bills, and/or view financial aid on Wolverine Access?
I'm an alumnus/alumna. What information can I access through Wolverine Access?
Alumni information may be stored online in one or two U-M databases, depending on when you were a student.
- If you attended before August 1993, your information is in the Update My Alumni Information system, which is available on the Alumni tab of Wolverine Access.
- If you attended in Fall 1993 or later, your information is in the My Student Records and the Update My Alumni Information systems, both of which are available on the Alumni tab of Wolverine Access. If you need to update your information, you should enter your changes in both systems.
Alumni who attended after Fall 1993 can order a transcript (or view an unofficial transcript) online through Wolverine Access Student Business or My Student Records. See the Registrar's Office web site for information on ordering a transcript directly from that office.
Alumni need a U-M uniqname and UMICH password to use these functions in Wolverine Access. If necessary, refer to the Procedures for Getting a Uniqname.
How can I change my home address and phone information?
Depending on your affiliation with U-M, log in to the appropriate self-service system: Student Business, Faculty Business, or Employee Self-Service (includes sponsored affiliates). Then select Addresses or Phones under Campus Personal Information.
For detailed steps on updating your information, refer to:
Note: The home addresses and phone numbers of faculty and staff are included in U-M printed directories and the Online Directory, unless the individual updates his/her Current address and selects Do not publish. Refer to Help: Updating Address Information for the detailed steps.
How can I sign up to receive UM Emergency Alerts?
Depending on your affiliation with U-M, log in to the appropriate self-service system: Student Business, Faculty Business, or Employee Self-Service (includes sponsored affiliates). Then select UM Emergency Alerts under Campus Personal Information.
For detailed steps on updating your information, refer to Help: Updating UM Emergency Alerts.
How can I set a preferred name for use in my university business and education?
The university recognizes that many members of its community use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. As long as the use of this different name is not for the purposes of misrepresentation, the university acknowledges that a "preferred name" can and should be used wherever possible in the course of university business and education.
Depending on your affiliation with U-M, log in to the appropriate self-service system: Student Business, Faculty Business, or Employee Self-Service (includes sponsored affiliates). Then select Names under Campus Personal Information.
For more information, refer to:
Help and Instructions
Where are the instructions for using the systems?
- Self-service systems (e.g., Student Business, Faculty Business, Employee Self-Service) include links to context-sensitive Help instructions at the top-right of each page in the system. You can also browse to specific Help instructions from the Self Service Help menu. The Help instructions include step-by-step procedures, examples and descriptions of page content, and contact information if you need assistance.
- Users of administrative systems (e.g., M-Pathways, Concur) can search for specific training and documentation for select systems at My LINC.
Why shouldn’t I use my browser’s Back button when navigating through systems?
Do not use your browser’s Back button because it may prevent you from saving changes or logging out securely.
- Use the menus, links, buttons, and shortcut keys provided in the system.
- Navigate to frequently used pages by creating favorites.
What internet browsers do I need to use the systems available through Wolverine Access?
Who can I contact if I have a question or comment about the Wolverine Access gateway website?
Where can I get information about U-M Computing Policies?